Thursday 12 April 2012

Struggling

From the day we found out we were expecting triplets we knew that it would be a difficult pregnancy, I just never expected it would get this hard so quickly.  

I am already feeling constantly breathless from the pressure on my lungs, just putting on a pair of sneakers is leaving my huffing and puffing.  So far my belly is almost the size of someone who is full term with a single baby and we still have at least 12 weeks (hopefully) to go.  As for getting comfortable, especially when I am trying to sleep is almost impossible in spite of my mountain of pillows. 

Over the Easter weekend I have started to experience lots of Braxton Hicks which seem to stop as soon as I am lying down, so needless to say my Easter plans were changed and included lots of naps.  So after a few days of this I decided to go in to hospital for some monitoring as I know how high our risks are for preterm labour.  The monitoring did show that everything was okay though thankfully but now I am pretty much laid up for the rest of this pregnancy and need to spend more time resting and laying down.  Or the alternative is to be admitted to hospital to wait for these babies to arrive. 

As much as it would be easier on me physically to be laid up in hospital for weeks on end, emotionally it would be really hard to spend so much time away from my loved ones and support network at a time when I need them most.  Resting at home would be so much easier if I wasn't trying to keep up with a 2 year old.  So at the moment the plan is we have called in on all the offers for help that we have been given.  For now this has involved on calling on all my friends in the community to care for Ollie a few hours at a time, and knowing who I can call on each day of the week.  I have always really liked the saying 'it takes a village to raise a child' and this time it feels as though not only will it take a village to raise these precious gifts, but it will take a village to help ensure these babies arrive safely. 

We have been so amazed by the love and offers of support shown to us from our families, friends and people in the community.  We are so very grateful for that, and we certainly wouldn't be able to do any of this without you.  I hope one day we are able to help others in this same way to return the favour and feelings of gratitude.  

On a final note I am off for the finishing touches on our morphology scan tomorrow bright and early.  It seems the 2 1/2 nearly 3 hours last week was simply not long enough so get to go back tomorrow for round 2. 

2 comments:

  1. i remember you lookin after henry and rowan back in the day :) what goes around comes around!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I knew then what I was going to be in for :)

      Delete